top of page


What is it?

A special "pension benefit" which pays for a private Caregiver to assist in the daily activities of living, including eating, bathing, dressing and mobility. Includes care in the home and in assisted living communities. Sometimes it includes care in a nursing home if the patient is blind or has mental or physical incapacity.


Who Qualifies?

Veterans who served in the following wars (includes spouse/surviving spouse). Veteran must have served 90 consecutive days, with at least 1 of those days during “wartime”, even if they were not in a combat zone.

  • Indian War

  • Spanish-American War, including the Moro Province hostilities

  • Mexican Border War

  • World War I

  • World War II

  • Korean Conflict

  • Vietnam Era

  • Persian Gulf War


Financial Qualifications:

Less than $80,000 in assets (excluding home and vehicles)


Use the documents below to see if you are eligible:


How much care does Aid & Attendance pay for?

  • Up to $1,519 per month for a Veteran

  • Up to $976 per month for a Spouse

  • Up to $1,801 per month for a Couple


How do you start an Aid & Attendance Caregiver?

You must file the government claim forms and have medical doctor approval.


What Filing Forms are Required?

Two government forms are required along with doctor’s statement (attached below).

  • Medical Doctor’s Statement for Aide & Attendance

  • VA Form 21-526 for Veterans

  • VA Form 21-534 for Spouses


In order to expedite approval, you will want to include all the requested documents. While reimbursement for care services performed prior to approval is possible, you should not count on it.


What will the Family Need to Provide?

  • Caregiver’s Checklist of Aid & Attendance Documents

  • Discharge/Separation Papers (DD-214) (can be requested by a family member at

  • Copy of Marriage Certificate (Surviving Spouses only and only if they are currently married)

  • Copy of the Death Certificate (Surviving Spouses only)

  • Copy of current Social Security Award Letter

  • Net Worth documentation: bank checking and savings account records and investment records for all assets

  • Income verification from all sources, such as pensions and retirement account pay-outs

  • Certified copy of court-appointed guardianship if this is in place for the Veteran or Surviving Spouse

  • Medical costs not covered by Medicare or Medicaid, including medications

  • Medical doctor statement with current diagnosis, medical status, prognosis and ability to perform activities of daily living and travel unattended

  • Employment history (does not apply if you are over 65)

  • A letter from the home health care provider stating frequency of visits and cost per month (if applicable)


Important Documents:



All paperwork must be submitted to the VA regional office.

Find out if you need to submit paperwork to LA or San Diego:


VA Regional Office: Los Angeles

Federal Building

11000 Wilshire Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90024-3602

Fax 310-235-6640


VA Regional Office: San Diego

8810 Rio San Diego Drive

San Diego, CA 92108-1508

Fax 619-400-5418


bottom of page